University-Based • Puget Sound Focused • Improving the Future • of the Region—and Beyond
The WSU Puyallup Research and Extension Center provides research, technology, instruction, and outreach to improve agriculture, community well-being, and natural resources by bridging our land-grant mission to an increasingly urbanized Puget Sound region and beyond.
Quality • Commitment • Effectiveness • Creativity & Innovation • Knowledge • Integrity • Trust
WSU scientist’s species discovery helps save colorful peony from ugly disease
Student researcher Andrea Garfinkel, right, chats with a farm worker in a Netherlands peony field during a 2015 visit. For the past three years, Garfinkel has researched diseases of peonies, discovering multiple new species of the Botrytis pathogen.
A symbol of good fortune and happy marriage, the peony has been a beloved centerpiece of floral arrangements and wedding bouquets for hundreds of years.
Pacific Northwest farmers have found success growing these bountiful blooms for a thriving global market. But they’re held back by a devastating … » More …Read Story
Markus Flury wins soil physics medal
Soil scientist Markus Flury takes soil samples at the Hanford nuclear reservation, studying movement of radioactive compounds.
For more than 20 years, Markus Flury has studied how the soil and water under our feet interact, influencing the food we eat and the water we drink.
Now, the Washington State University soil scientist’s achievements have earned him a prestigious accolade from the Soil Science Society of America: The Don and Betty Kirkham Soil Physics Award.
“Soils can protect groundwater from many contaminants, from … » More …Read Story
- Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott Receives Scientific Writing Award Read Story
- WSU scientist’s species discovery helps save colorful peony from ugly disease
- Markus Flury wins soil physics medal
- Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott Receives Scientific Writing Award
- PhD student given Award of Excellence by GPSA
- Graduate Student Wins Alexander A. Smick Scholarship
- Faculty Member Receives NRCS Grant
- Faculty Awarded WSU Grand Challenges Seed Grant
- Graduate and PhD students published in journal
- Dr. Jen McIntyre co-recipient of prestigious award
- Puyallup Graduate Student Named to CSSA Board