Eight faculty from Washington State University have been elected to membership in the Washington State Academy of Sciences, an organization that advances science in the state and informs public policy.
The new members come from WSU campuses across the state and represent a range of scientific specialties. They’ll be officially inducted in September, in a ceremony at Seattle’s Museum of Flight.
In addition, two WSU faculty have been elected to the academy’s board of directors. The Washington State Academy of Sciences advances science in the state and informs public policy.
“It’s a great honor that so many WSU scientists have been recognized by the Washington State Academy of Sciences,” said WSU President Kirk Schulz. “They’ll be contributing their expertise to some of the most important issues we face in Washington. It’s another way faculty at Washington’s land‑grant university can help improve the lives of state residents.”
The WSU scientists who were elected by their peers are:
- Executive associate dean and associate dean for research at the WSU College of Nursing
- Director of the Program of Excellence in Addictions Research
- Director of the Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health in the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Infectious disease microbiologist
- Vice President for Research at WSU
- Professor of physics
- Edward R. Meyer Distinguished Professor in the Liberal Arts, Department of Sociology in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Professor, Department of Psychology, in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Eastlick Distinguished Professor in Health Sciences, School of Biological Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Professor, WSU Puyallup Research & Extension Center, Center for Reproductive Biology in the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Regents Professor, Department Chair and Distinguished Chair of Food Engineering in the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences
The faculty members elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences board of directors are:
- Regents Professor, School of Economic Sciences in the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences
- Regents Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience in the College of Veterinary Medicine
The WSU faculty are among about 40 new members elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences this year. The academy hosts events to raise awareness of key issues affecting the future of Washington’s people, prosperity and places, and working groups provide unbiased assessments to guide public policy‑making in the state. With the new additions, the academy will have more than 300 members statewide.
The post Eight WSU faculty elected to Washington State Academy of Sciences appeared first on WSU Insider.