Events and New on Website
Organic Reduced Tillage in the Maritime Pacific Northwest Symposium and Farmer Engagement
24-25 February 2021
Soil educator-hosted symposium on Organic Reduced Tillage in the PNW.
- Recordings of this symposium have been added to the event entry (free registration required to view).
Compost Facility Operator Training
14-18 October 2019
Training and certification for Compost Facility Operators, Managers, and officials involved with Composting. Hands on composting, field trips, examination.
New Videos on Organic No-till and Cover Cropping Systems
- No-Till Cover Crop Seeding in Organic Vegetable Systems
- High Residue Cultivation in Organic Strip Till Sweet Corn
- Summer Cover Cropping Research: Buckwheat, Sudangrass, and Clover in Vegetable Rotation
Extension Publications, Peer Reviewed
- Garden Fertilizer Calculator (PDF with embedded Excel xlsx-Online). Gardens, lawns, single plants, or short rows: how much fertilizer to add for each? This fertilizer calculator (for both organic and conventional) makes it easy. Cogger, C. 2019. WSU Extension, US Dept. Agriculture. FS324E.
- Interpreting Compost Analyses (PDF/HTML-Online). Sullivan, D.M., A.I. Bary, R.O. Miller, and L.J. Brewer. 2018. Oregon State University Extension Bulletin EM9217. Compost can return nutrients and organic matter to the soil, a proven practice for soil health enhancement. This publication focuses on selecting a lab to perform compost analyses, determining which compost analyses are most relevant to your needs, assessing whether compost is sufficiently stabilized, and avoiding over application of composts high in soluble salts or composts with a pH unsuited to your crop.
- Biosolids in Dryland Cropping Systems (PDF-Online). Sullivan, D.M., C.G. Cogger, A.I. Bary, and L.J. Brewer. 2018. PNW 716. Pacific Northwest Extension Publication.
- Soil Nitrate Testing for Willamette Valley Vegetable Production (PDF-Online). Sullivan, D.M., N.D. Andrews, A. Heinrich, E. Peachey, L.J. Brewer. 2019. EM 9221. Oregon St. Univ. Ext. Serv.