Dr. Patrick Moore
Patrick Moore is a research professor with the WSU Department of Horticulture. His plant breeding focus is on developing new cultivars of strawberry and raspberry for production in the Pacific Northwest. Additionally, Pat conducts research on germplasm evaluation for traits of interest to breeders, researchers, producers, and end-users. Pat has a Ph.D. in Forestry from Michigan State University, a M.S. in forestry from the University of Minnesota, and a B.S. in forestry from Oregon State University. In the last 25 years, Pat has released or collaborated in the release of XX cultivars of raspberry and strawberry. He recently won the 2015 Wilder Medal from the American Society of Horticultural Science for his lifetime contributions to plant breeding.
Areas of Interest
- Breeding strawberries for processing and fresh market uses
- Breeding raspberries compatible with machine harvesting and processing
- Studies on Raspberry Bushy Dwarf Virus, Phytophthora root rot, nematodes and verticillium on raspberries
- Testing markers for selecting for Raspberry Bushy Dwarf Virus resistance
- Zasada, I.A. and P.P. Moore. 2014. Host Status of Rubus Species and Hybrids for the Root Lesion Nematode, Pratylenchus penentrans. HortScience 49: 1128-1131.
- Moore, P.P., W. Hoashi-Erhardt, B.H. Barritt, T.M. Sjulin, J.A. Robbins, C.E. Finn, R.R. Martin and M. Dossett. 2014. ‘Cascade Gold’ Raspberry. HortScience 49:358-360.
- Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K., Moore, P.P., Collins, D.P., Bary, A.I., & Cogger, C.G. 2013. Evaluation of Day-Neutral Cultivars for Organic Strawberry Production in Washington. Acta Horticulturae 1001, 167-174. http://www.actahort.org/books/1001/1001_18.htm.
- Moore, P.P., & Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K. 2012. Comparative Response of Red Raspberry Cultivars to Phytophthora Root Rot. Journal of the American Pomological Society 66, 28-33.
- Ward, J.A., W.E. Boone, P.P. Moore and C.A. Weber. 2012. Developing Molecular Markers for Marker Assisted Selection for Resistance to Raspberry Bushy Dwarf Virus (RBDV) in Red Raspberry. Acta Hort 946:61-66.
- Moore, P.P. and W.K. Hoashi-Erhardt. 2012. Effects of Raspberry Bushy Dwarf Virus on Fruit Traits in Five Raspberry Cultivars. Acta Hort 946: 263-266.
- Valenzuela-Estrada, L.R., D.R. Bryla, W.K. Hoashi-Erhardt, P.P. Moore and T.A. Forge. 2012. Root Traits Associated with Phytophthora Root Rot Resistance in Red Raspberry. Acta Hort 946: 283-287.
- Moore, P.P., W.K. Hoashi-Erhardt, C.E. Finn and C. Kempler. 2011. ‘Puget Crimson’ Strawberry. HortScience 46: 1698-1700.
- Weber, C.A., P. Perkins-Veazie, P. Moore, and L. Howard. 2008. Variability of antioxidant content in raspberry germplasm. Acta Hort. 777:493-498.
- Moore, P., P. Perkins-Veazie, C.A. Weber, and L. Howard. 2008. Environmental effect on antioxidant content of ten raspberry cultivars. Acta Hort. 777:499-504.