Wendy Hoashi-Erhardt directs the Small Fruit Plant Breeding program and cultivar development for red raspberry in the Pacific Northwest, with emphasis on processing traits of machine harvestability, fruit quality, and disease resistance. She also researches other traits of interest in strawberry and raspberry genotypes. Wendy has a M.S. in crop science from Cornell University and a B.S. in chemistry from Wheaton College (IL). In the last 10 years, she has collaborated in the release of four cultivars of raspberry and strawberry.
Areas of Interest
- Breeding and evaluating day-neutral strawberries for fresh market use
- Evaluating strawberries for processing and fresh market uses
- Evaluating raspberries compatible with machine harvesting and processing
- Studies on Raspberry Bushy Dwarf Virus, phytophthora root rot, and verticillium on raspberries
- Wannemuehler, S.D., Yue, C., Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K., Gallardo, R.K., and McCracken, V. (2020). Cost-effectiveness Analysis of a Strawberry Breeding Program Incorporating DNA-informed Technology. HortTechnology 30, 365–371.
- Moore, P.P., Hoashi-Erhardt, W., Finn, C.E., Martin, R.R., and Dossett, M. 2019. ‘WSU 2166’ Red Raspberry. HortScience 54, 564–567.
- Li, Z., Gallardo, R.K., Hoashi-Erhardt, W., McCracken, V.A., Yue, C., and DeVetter, L.W. 2019. Supporting Successful Transition to the Fresh Market: Research and Extension Needs of Pacific Northwest Strawberry Growers. HortTechnology 29, 649–658.
- Hills, K., Garcia-Perez, M., Amonette, J.E., Brady, M., Jobson, T., Collins, D., Gang, D., Bronstad, E., Flury, M., Seefeldt, S., Stöckle, C.O, Ayiania, M., Berim, A., Hoashi-Erhardt, W., Khosravi, N., Haghighi Mood, S., Nelson, R., Milan, Y.J, Pickering, N., Stacey, N., Tanzil, A.H., Zhang, J., Saari, B., Yorgey, G. 2019. Advancing Organics Management in Washington State: The Waste to Fuels Technology Partnership 2017-2019 Biennium. Compiled and edited by Hills, K., Saari, B., Yorgey, G., Zimmerman, T. Solid Waste Management Program, Washington State Department of Ecology Publication No.19-07-27. Olympia, Washington. 103 pp. January 2020.
- Moore, P.P. and Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K. 2019. Comparison of Selection for Root Rot Tolerance and Machine Harvestability. Acta Hort. 1277:149-153.
- Moore, P.P. and Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K. 2016. Raspberry breeding at Washington State University. Acta Hort. 1133:45-48.
- Moore P., W. Hoashi-Erhardt, C. Finn, R. Martin, M. Dossett. 2015. ‘Cascade Harvest’ Red Raspberry. HortScience 50: 624-627.
- Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K., Bixby-Brosi, A. 2014. Spotted Wing Drosophila management for organic producers. Tilth Producers Quarterly Journal 24(2): 1,5,7,8.
- Hoashi-Erhardt, W.K., Walters, T. 2014. Growing day-neutral strawberries in western Washington. FS032E. Washington State University Extension, Pullman, WA. https://pubs.extension.wsu.edu/growing-dayneutral-strawberries-in-western-washington (Accessed 14 April 2022).