How should you collect a sample?
Collect samples of turf showing the symptoms of concern that is at least 4 inches × 4 inches × 3 inches deep. Include roots, thatch, and soil!
What information should you provide?
- Personal contact information (address, phone, fax, email)
- Detailed information about the problem:
- When was problem first noticed?
- Is the problem spreading, and how fast?
- How many plants are affected?
- Detailed information about the turf and its cultural care:
- Type of grass, age
- Site description (drainage, exposure, weather), irrigation
- Pesticide and fertilizer use (type, rate, date)
- Completed Lawn & Turfgrass Problem Diagnosis (C1048) form.
How much does this service cost?
- Turfgrass Diagnosis: $40.00
- Expedited Diagnosis for Golf Courses: $80.00
- Certain tests (if required) may incur additional cost.
We accept payment by cash or check only. Please make checks payable to WSU Puyallup Plant Clinic.
How should you package your specimens for shipment?
Use a sturdy box for shipping. Include padding to prevent injury during shipping.
Mail samples to:
WSU Puyallup Plant Clinic
2606 West Pioneer
Puyallup, WA 98371-4998
Please DO NOT mail on a Friday or before any national holiday as specimens may deteriorate in transit or over the weekend.
You may also drop off samples in person at the Puyallup Research and Extension Center. The Plant Clinic is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 – 3:00 pm.
If you have questions regarding your sample, please contact the diagnostician (253-445-4582 or email@example.com) during business hours.