The Plant Pathology department at the Puyallup Research and Extension Center has an opening for an Agricultural Research Technologist 3. Full position details and application information at WSU Jobs (127307).
Summary of Duties
Under direction of a PI, performs senior level research and investigative research relating to the management of diseases of ornamental bulb and cut flower crops, Christmas trees, and ornamental and conifer nursery crops. Positions are responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating assigned experiments under minimal direction; developing and testing investigative procedures; managing personnel; analyzing complex statistical data; and preparing rough manuscript drafts for technical papers.
Bachelor’s Degree in the applied, biological, chemical, physical OR agricultural sciences AND two years of experience as an Agricultural Research Technologist 2; OR equivalent education/experience.
- Two years of experience as an Agricultural Research Technologist 2 OR Equivalent education with experience in a plant pathology, horticulture, plant and soil sciences, and/or analytical chemistry biology laboratory utilizing techniques relating to the isolation and identification of fungal plant pathogens, DNA extractions, standard PCR, and quantitative PCR.
- Ability to plan, develop, and execute multiple research projects.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office and other equipment and statistical analysis software packages.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience relating to effective employee supervision.
- Experience with the operation of laboratory and molecular equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor, collaborators, and workers.
- Ability to work well in a cooperative lab environment.
- Must have a Washington State Certified Pesticide Applicator License or the ability to obtain one within six months of employment.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain by time of hire, a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able and willing to travel, including overnight.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Plant Pathology or related discipline.
- Five years of experience in a plant pathology laboratory utilizing standard isolation and standard/molecular identification techniques such as morphometric measurement of spores, DNA extractions, standard PCR, and quantitative PCR.
- Evidence of publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience in horticulture, botany, agriculture, and chemistry relating to etiology, epidemiology and control of ornamental bulb crop, nursery, and Christmas tree diseases.
Monthly Salary: $3,203.00
Position Number: 127307
Posting Number: 20134194P
Open Date: 05/03/2018
Close Date: Open until filled
Full position details and application information at WSU Jobs (127307)